Churchie has been very fortunate to receive many generous gifts and bequests over its long history.
From the very beginning, the Crampton-Andrews Family generously allowed the founding Headmaster to use part of “Ardencraig”, the family home at Toowong, as the School’s premises for its first year. Enrolment grew from three students on Foundation Day to eleven students by the end of 1912.
Since this modest beginning, many Old Boys and families have supported the School through generous benefaction, enabling the School’s leadership of the day to better fulfil our ambitions for the boys through the provision of world- class facilities and amenities.
One of the earliest bequests was from John Darnell. Following his death in 1930, the School received £1,200 for the construction of a library. The John Darnell Memorial Library became the second of what Canon Morris considered his ‘Three Sisters’ (the Canon Jones Memorial Chapel , the John Darnell Memorial Library , and the Jackson Science Hall ). These iconic, early buildings enabled the Founder’s vision of providing a broad, liberal education in the Anglican tradition.
Many other bequests enabled the School to respond to the increasing enrolment demand over the years and develop the once ‘little farm school’ into one of the nation’s greatest schools.
As the growing school gradually required a greater level of management and resources, the Jensen Building  was purpose-built to house the School’s leadership team as well as the Music and Languages Departments. This was the bequest of the Kappe/Jensen families in recognition of Old Boy L V Mervyn Jensen (1924-27).
Old Boy Stanley Smith (1921-23) made several financial gifts to the School during the post WWII years, enabling Headmaster Roberts to continue the increasingly necessary building and expansion program during the 1950s and 1960s. Amongst other endowments and bequests, enabled by Stanley Smith’s Trusts, the School has The Smith Fields, The Stanley Smith Preparatory School (1965) and the Stanley and May Smith Science Centre (1999).
State-of-the-art Physical Education, sporting and fitness facilities in the School would not be as they are today without numerous bequests that benefit the entire student population. The Sir John Pidgeon Sports Complex (2010) is an outstanding sports, wellness and recreational facility borne of a bequest by Old Boy John Pidgeon (1940-43).
The Graham Fowles Boat House (2005) provides the rowing community with an outstanding facility for rowing on the Brisbane River. The bequest from Graham Fowles (1939-41) enabled the School to construct the new facility and enhance the growth in the program and achievements in the boat shed (1936), which was named the Elder Hunter Boat House (1969) after H Elder Hunter (1918-22).
The Barry McCart Aquatic Centre (2010) is the result of a family bequest recognising Barry (1945-47) and the family’s contribution to swimming over many years. The centre enables the School to conduct swimming training and carnivals, lifesaving, water-polo and learn-to-swim programs.
The David Turbayne (1926-27) Tennis Centre  is a state-of-the-art facility providing outstanding coaching, skill development and competition opportunities for students and the broader community.
The generous giving to the School by Old Boys has enabled the establishment and evolution of one of the most outstanding school campuses in Australia. The impact of bequests and generous donations has left a lasting legacy for families of future students, Old Boys and the wider Churchie community.